Collapsed Sacked Access Bank Cashier Planned To Wed By June

By Ayodele   3 weeks ago   174
Jobs - Top Stories

The bank had announced plans to sack its workers as a result of the negative impact of the Coronavirus outbreak.

A cashier at a Lagos branch of Access Bank, who lost his job on Thursday, has shared his ordeal with SaharaReporters.

The bank had announced plans to sack its workers as a result of the negative impact of the Coronavirus outbreak.

Group Managing Director of Access Bank, Herbert Wigwe, had said that apart from the mass sacking, which would affect about 75 per cent of the bank’s workforce, he would take the lead in having the largest pay cut of 40 per cent.

“I will be the first to take the hit and I’m gonna take the largest pay cut, which would be as much as 40 per cent.

“The rest we would have to cascade right through the institution. Everybody may have to make some adjustments of some sort,” he had said.

SaharaReporters gathered that many of the bank’s staff received their sack letters via email on Thursday with shock and grief.

“My fiancee broke down in tears when she heard the news,” the sacked cashier told SaharaReporters on the phone.

“We are billed to get married next month. Where do I start now? This is unfair.

“The sack letter came in on Thursday but I didn’t know. I was doing my job on Friday when someone asked me if I had been laid off. I said no. She asked me to check my email. Behold, the email. I was shocked.

“I was angry with my boss. She told me she didn’t know anything about it. There was nothing I did wrong. Throughout this period, I have been the one fixing all our ATMs that were not running. I get calls at odd hours to work. My boss told me she could not have singled me out for sack. In my branch, I heard another colleague was sacked.

“By Monday, I will hear more about those who were affected. They are still sending out the mail. I tried to console my wife that something better will come. I have ND, HND and BSc but my salary is N75,000. I am not a core staff. Core staff earn as much as N145,000.

“Normally with my degree, I am not supposed to be getting that low but I just have to accept that so as not to be unemployed. There was no prior notice. There was no warning. It’s not that I was not working diligently. This is unfair.

1c2cd9527233f5549022818c38b9a139?quality=uhq&resize=720

“This same bank donated millions of naira to fight COVID-19. This same bank gave Singer Naira Marley millions of naira to perform for customers and staff. Naira Marley even tweeted it but we that are working day and night, see what we got now,” he added.

Access Bank Cashier Wed June

Hassan Ireti
3 weeks ago

First to comment here

Patience Etim
3 weeks ago

Disappointed a blessed

Have pity on him

Udeme Okon
3 weeks ago

Live first you will we'd later

Alfred
3 weeks ago

She's not going to be able to make it

That is not the end of life, better days are ahead.

Why nah,it's not fair nah

Princewill
3 weeks ago

Y it's pity

They have just destroy her plans

Now she will have to postpone the wedding because no money

Ezeibe Ogochukwu
3 weeks ago

Pity himmmmm

Ok ooooo is dis life

Awww so painful

what a disaster

Sadiq Doka
3 weeks ago

Access bank are terrible

Jibrin Usman
3 weeks ago

This is bad where is he going to start from

Cyrina Ariakpotu
3 weeks ago

Life is important than wedding

Adebayo Emmanuel
3 weeks ago

Greayer heights you attain ma

Omodue Emmanuel