Egypt Imposes Night-time Curfew In Bid To Contain COVID-19
Workers disinfect a gallery at the Egyptian Museum in Cairo’s landmark Tahrir Square amid the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic, on March 23, 2020. Khaled DESOUKI / AFP.
Egypt is to impose a night-time curfew for two weeks from Wednesday to contain the spread of the coronavirus, Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli announced.
“Movement will be banned on all public roads from 7 pm to 6 am… for two weeks,” Madbouli told a Tuesday news conference.
“All mass transport, public and private, will be halted over the same period.”
Penalties for violators include a fine of up to 4,000 Egyptian pounds (just over $250) and even prison, he said.
The prime minister said central and provincial government services, including the issuing of licences, would be suspended for two weeks.
He said that malls and shops selling more than basic goods would be allowed to open until 5 pm on work days but would be required to close over the Friday-Saturday weekend.
Cafes and nightclubs would be closed, while restaurants and other food outlets would be allowed to offer delivery services only.
Bakeries, grocery stores, pharmacies and supermarkets outside malls would be exempted.
The health ministry has so far registered 19 deaths from the coronavirus in Egypt out of 366 confirmed cases.
The government has already closed schools and universities and halted air traffic in a bid to slow the spread of the coronavirus among the country’s 100 million people.
Religious authorities have since Saturday shut all mosques and churches and halted prayer gatherings for at least two weeks.
– Demonstrations –
Madbouli said the government might impose stricter measures if the situation worsened and the number of confirmed cases topped 1,000.
He condemned calls for demonstrations saying they provided fertile ground for the transmission of the virus.
Early Tuesday, police moved swiftly to disperse dozens of demonstrators who had attempted to hold overnight marches in the Mediterranean coastal city of Alexandria.
Footage posted on Twitter showed marchers chanting: “God is greatest,” and: “May God rescue us from this plague.”
They were “dispersed in accordance with government measures preventing gatherings to avoid contagion”, a security source told AFP, adding that no arrests were made.
Dar al-Ifta, Egypt’s institution for issuing religious edicts, condemned such protests as “malicious” and “forbidden” under Islamic law.
The institution urged Egyptians to comply with government measures against the spread of the virus.
Protests have effectively been banned in Egypt since 2013 and the country has been under a state of emergency since April 2017.[NewsNaira]
Share this article!
Others are also reading
US regulator, FDA, gives anti-malaria drugs emergency approval to treat coronavirus Read More1 hour ago
What is News₦aira Income Program(News₦IP)
News₦aira Income Program (News₦IP) is a system aimed at raising revenue for registered users that browse the NewsNaira Website. An online program driven by a goal of solving the financial problems among the youths, students, middle class and whoever wishes to take advantage of earning opportunity and making money online legitimately in Nigeria as it creates the channel for participants to earn residual income on weekly basis.
How News₦IP Works
News₦aira has 2 means of generating income for our members.
News₦AP: NewsNaira Affiliate Program - With News₦AP, participants earns ₦1,000 whenever they refer anyone to join NewsNaira Income Program. There is no limit to how many people you can refer.
News₦ARS: NewsNaira Ad Revenue Sharing - With News₦ARS, participants earns residual income bonus by reading news, commentting on articles, publishing forum posts, daily login to their NewsNaira account, and even sharing assigned sponsored post on social media.
We share our ads revenue with you weekly when you make NewsNaira community your news and information household.