Amotekun: APC youths beg Buhari govt to rescind declaration
The National Youth Council of Nigeria (NYCN) has appealed to the Federal Government to rescind its declaration that Amotekun is illegal in the overall benefit of the country.
Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami had declared that the Operation Amotekun outfit launched last week by the Southwest governors is illegal.
Operation Amotekun is a new security outfit inaugurated by six states in the South-west on Jan.9.
Mr Bestman Okereafor, the National Public Relations Officer of the All Progressive Congress (APC) Youth Leaders, made the appeal in a statement made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Enugu on Thursday.
He said the security outfit’s structure, which is from the village hunters to other known vigilance group working together in line with the Nigerian Police, presented the best form of community policing.
According to him, this grassroots-oriented and bottom-up structured as well as all-involving security framework, which Amotekun presents, is the ideal policing framework for modern policing to checkmate emerging criminality in rural and remote communities.
“The attention of the NYCN has once again been drawn to the position of the Federal Government as regards Amotekun which is a regional security outfit jointly established by the six South-west governors.
“Information at our disposal reveals that Federal Government’s position was disclosed by the Minister for Justice and Attorney General of the Federation, Mr Abubakar Malami, through his special adviser on media, Dr Umar Gwandu, via a statement issued Jan.14 declaring “AMOTEKUN” as illegal.
“Nigerian youths consider this position as unfair and not in line with the principle of egalitarianism being preached by the present APC-led administration.
“As progressive-minded Nigerian youth leadership, we expect the Federal Government to complement the efforts of the South-west governors rather than an outright rejection and condemnation of the security outfit,’’ he said.
Okereafor, however, called on all South-west residents and Nigerian youths at large to remain calm and be peaceful as ever “even as we await the position of the South-west governors and their consultations with the Federal Government on the matter,’[NewsNaira]
Share this article!
Others are also reading
Policeman Shoots 1 Dead, Injures 3 In Stampede For Sokoto Governor Tambuwal’s Cash Read More10 hours ago
Junaid Mohammed: Oshiomhole’s Character Responsible For His Political Downfall Read More10 hours ago
Nigerians Attack NLC For Suspending Nationwide Strike, Accuse Them Of Collecting Bribe Read More10 hours ago
FG Suspends New Electricity Tariff For Two Weeks After Agreement With TUC & NLC. Read More10 hours ago
What is News₦aira Income Program(News₦IP)
News₦aira Income Program (News₦IP) is a system aimed at raising revenue for registered users that browse the NewsNaira Website. An online program driven by a goal of solving the financial problems among the youths, students, middle class and whoever wishes to take advantage of earning opportunity and making money online legitimately in Nigeria as it creates the channel for participants to earn residual income on weekly basis.
How News₦IP Works
News₦aira has 2 means of generating income for our members.
News₦AP: NewsNaira Affiliate Program - With News₦AP, participants earns ₦1,000 whenever they refer anyone to join NewsNaira Income Program. There is no limit to how many people you can refer.
News₦ARS: NewsNaira Ad Revenue Sharing - With News₦ARS, participants earns residual income bonus by reading news, commentting on articles, publishing forum posts, daily login to their NewsNaira account, and even sharing assigned sponsored post on social media.
We share our ads revenue with you weekly when you make NewsNaira community your news and information household.